Founded in 1994 by a passionate group of islanders, the San Juan Nature Institute has remained true to the belief that field-based natural history education is a key to thoughtful decision making for our sensitive island ecosystem. Students in our workshops and lectures tell us that learning about island streams and watersheds, geology and archeology, ponds and plants, forests and meadows, nearshore and intertidal areas, and marine and terrestrial creatures is absolutely invigorating. Ginny, from Orcas Island says, “Nature Institute workshops are worth my time. I always come away with a stronger appreciation of our special place. I’m learning to understand what I’m seeing when I go for walks and how intricately everything is balanced.”
Champion the education goals of the Nature Institute by contributing to an education program or by volunteering to help make the goals a reality.
There is always a healthy “to do” list that will engage our multi-talented islanders. Know that your individual gifts of time and skill impact the well being of these amazing islands.
Nitty-Gritty Volunteers. We’re currently seeking volunteers to be: << Please contact us >>
- Newsletter reporters
- Newsletter editor
- Mail list manager
- Special events team members
- Movers and shakers (move this from here to there!)
- Poster put-er up-ers on each island
Instructors << Please contact us >>
The contents of our workshops and classes are grounded in science based field study. If your background lends itself and you are drawn to share your knowledge and enthusiasm for living in the northwest, inquire about becoming a member of our select group of highly qualified instructors. Don’t be shy! Teaching for the Nature Institute may be a good match for you.
Lecture Series << Please contact us >>
These extremely popular 2-hour lectures focus on topics related to our island ecosystem. The Lecture venues provide the opportunity for thoughtful exchange between our presenters and audience members. You can help continue these extremely popular evenings by becoming a:
- Lecture Series Sponsor. Each season individuals and businesses contribute to underwrite the expenses of the Lecture Series. Lecture Series Sponsors are listed on our Season Calendar, acknowledged during the evenings’ Welcome Comments, and noted in press releases and newsletters. Sponsor gifts are $500; Co-Sponsors gifts are $250. Both levels of giving are fully tax deductible. << Make a Financial Contribution! >>
- Lecture Docent. Help to create the welcoming venue for our fine lecturers and audiences. Docents arrange the lecture hall, set up refreshments, and greet participants.
Practical Resource Needs << Please contact us >>
This is an ever-changing list! Either direct contributions targeting the purchase of a Resource Need or the item itself will help us continue our momentum!
- Digital camera
- Warm and dry storage space on San Juan Island for archives and supplies
- Selected reference books and multi-media or funds for purchase of either
- Funds for perishables and supplies used in classes and field study
- Support for printing and distribution of mailings
- Funding for Nature Institute signage
We’re ready to grow! Monetary gifts to our Education Development Fund will allow the Nature Institute to extend and expand its outreach education to all island schools and adult community members. May we visit with you about both our successes and our potential? Email us at email@example.com << Make a Financial Contribution! >>